Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Romantic Comedy Genre

     Romantic comedies, also known as rom-coms, have been the most popular subgenre of romance. Some of the most popular rom-com movies are, When Harry Met Sally, Crazy, Stupid, Love, and Something's Gotta Give. These movies typically do well because they rely heavily on their target audience. Which can change depending on the type of rom-com.

    Teen rom-coms are aimed at people ages 13-20. The setting is usually in a school and neighborhoods. An example of this would be The Kissing Booth. Adult rom-coms are aimed at people ages 15-40. They typically take place at a workplace or a family home. They contain crude humor and sex scenes. An example of an adult romantic comedy would be The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

    Traits that make up romantic comedies are natural dialogue and a well-written script full of humor and light moments. These simple traits have aged well for many years. Dating all the way back to a classic romantic comedy, Trouble in Paradise. This movie came out in 1932, almost a century ago.

    One movies I took inspiration from is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The movie is definitely not a complete rom-com but it does have some elements of it. I also want my piece to not be a full rom-com but I do want to implements some of those traits. I remember watching that movie expecting it to be funny because I saw Jim Carrey. But when I finished it I was left in complete awe. I thought it was going to be a cheesy romance film but it was not that at all. 


    This movie also deals with "cheating" in a way. With no spoilers of the movie, the girl Carrey wants is seen with another man. I want to recreate that feeling Carrey felt when he saw that man with her. I remember the face he made, I could feel all the emotions he was feeling. After everything they went through, it ended just like that. In a blink of an eye what was once Carrey's was no longer his. I hope to recreate this.
                                          



No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening

 Here is my film opening. Enjoy!